Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Anybody use a mask at night for sleep apnea?

My wife has sleep apnea and is getting fittted for a mask to help her sleep at night, anybody use one of these? Please give your opinion on the effectiveness of this device.Anybody use a mask at night for sleep apnea?
I use a cpap machine which has made a tremendous difference in my personal health. Sleep apnea is often in part caused by excess weight but, sleep apnea also causes slowed metabolism which causes additional weight gain. Thus a vicious cycle begins...you gain more weight which in turn makes the sleep apnea worse. Since using my cpap, I have lost 45 pounds and no longer drag through my days. My skin is better and I no longer have horrendous headaches. In stead of a mask though, I use what looks like nasal cannula for oxygen that has been fed steriods. It's called a nasal pillow and is not nearly as claustrophobic feeling as the mask. Best of luck to you and your wife.Anybody use a mask at night for sleep apnea?
Yes I have OSA too and I use the mask. At first its uncomfortable but after a while you get use to it. Depending on the type (cost factor) of mask, it may cause scarring on the bridge of the nose. Just place a small folded piece of tissue paper over your bridge and it will cushion the mask friction. YES, please use it cos my apnea came down from 54 to 1.2 then now 0.5 It works.Doctors tell me that 60% of stroke patient can be attributed to OSA without the patient realising it.
I do actually use one. It is very helpful. It takes a little getting used to but the benefit is wonderful. The cpap machine blows a gentle stream of air in through the nose to keep the airway open at night. What happens is the throat relaxes so much during sleep that it cuts off the airway. When the body senses oxygen deprivation then you get that blast of snore that wakes you up. The cpap mask keeps the airway open.
lots of people use it
Very effective. I would presumed that you've had bad experience with her before she uses one. Your breath stop and your heart skip a beat. It happened many times in the night and unknowingly to the sufferer, it intervenes with your sleep. The result is that you feel tired, sluggish and sleepy during the day. CPAP machine clears the throat by continually pumping air, keeping the airway passage open (CPAP-Continue Pressure of the Airway Passage)


I know of some from the country where I came from who died on their sleep because of sleep apnea. We never knew what causes it then. It was only when I came to America that I know about the illness. I wear one at night for many years now.
No, I do not have any experience with using a mask. However, I do frequently use the Talika Eye Decompress. These work wonders in only a matter of minutes! These can be reasonably purchased at Sephora, Bath %26amp; Body Works, and a variety of other personal care stores. Please check out the following review at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Talika-Eye-Decompr鈥?/a>
My husband uses one and it has helped him alot. Me too since the snoring has stopped. lol
Yes, my mum has one. It is very reassuring for the whole family as we know that it helps her to keep breathing while she is asleep. When mum went to hospital for a sleep study, they recorded that she stopped breathing 45 times in the space of an hour - very scary! I wish your wife the best of luck with her mask and dont worry, she will get used to it soon and hopefully feel a lot better.
My daughter suffers from sleep apnea and uses a mask nightly. You will not believe the differance in the sleep you get. My daughter says when she gets 6 hours of sleep, she feels like she's slept 9 hours or more. She wakes up refreshed every morning.......Thank god her Dr. sent her to be tested.
I briefly tried on a CPAP during a sleep study but didn't use it and didn't get prescribed one (yet). The machines are not silent, they are noisier than most nighttime background noise. I would be afraid that I'd shell out for the CPAP and then the noise of the machine would keep my gf up anyway.
I have been using one for almost nine years. It isn't very sexy,but it makes a remarkable difference in quality of sleep, alertness during the day and decreasing other health risks associated with apnea. The first nights are pretty crummy, but it gets better, especially when you learn to stop fighting the mask and respirator. You need to learn to breath through your nose, and hope you don't gets colds or sinus inflammation too often. There are many styles of masks and head gear. I have been through many different styles and mask types. The gel nose cone is a favorite of mine and others I know who use a cpap respirator at night. If a mask doesn't work out for you, keep trying others until you are satisfied. It's worth it!!!
Husband has been using one for over a year! Saved our marriage! His snoring was making me crazy and I really couldn't sleep in the same room with him! The very first night, it was peaceful again! We BOTH love it!
No, I have never personally used on. However, many years ago I worked for a company that manufactured and sold the cpap equipment. I do know that they are very beneficial to people who suffer from sleep apnea. Because they allow the constant flow of oxygen while the patient is sleeping. Many times these patients stop breathing in their sleep. And the mask should have a good fit and they also have head gear to assist with the mask staying in place. They sell masks that also are somewhat soft or gel filled to make them more comfortable to the fit. Ask your doctor they should be willing to answer all of your questions. Also you can go on line and do a search their is a vast amount of information out there. Good luck to you and your wife. God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment